Can't connect to the Arch Linux website
thepouar--- via arch-general
2018-02-10 15:46:27 UTC
Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99. Is there something going on or is
it something from my end? only 2 things I could think of but seemed
unlikely was that my server was sending spam (which would be bad because
it would mean someone broke in, but I didn't notice anything in the logs)
or from checking out the ABS tree from the git server, but I've been doing
a shallow clone for the initial checkout (git clone --depth=1) and a shallow
fetch for updates (git fetch --depth=1, followed by a git reset --hard) to
try to avoid stressing out the git server. Was that still too much? Other
than those 2 possibilties, the only thing I can think of is that my ISP is
somehow screwing up again.
--
GPG Keys: https://keybase.io/pouar
Tox ID:
Matrix ID: @Pouar:matrix.org Social Links: https://www.pouar.net/social.php
Florian Pritz via arch-general
2018-02-10 17:03:43 UTC
Post by thepouar--- via arch-general
Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99.
Your IP is not being blocked by us. Could you tell me which URL you are
trying to reach? Also please run `getent ahosts $domain` and `mtr
--report --report-wide --show-ips --aslookup --report-cycles 100
$domain` and show me the output with $domain being "www.archlinux.org"
or "aur.archlinux.org" or similar.

FWIW I'm unable to ping you directly from multiple locations. Do you
have ping replies disabled or should that work?

Florian
thepouar--- via arch-general
2018-02-10 21:40:36 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 18:03:43 +0100
Post by Florian Pritz via arch-general
Post by thepouar--- via arch-general
Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99.
Your IP is not being blocked by us. Could you tell me which URL you are
trying to reach? Also please run `getent ahosts $domain` and `mtr
--report --report-wide --show-ips --aslookup --report-cycles 100
$domain` and show me the output with $domain being "www.archlinux.org"
or "aur.archlinux.org" or similar.
FWIW I'm unable to ping you directly from multiple locations. Do you
have ping replies disabled or should that work?
Florian
Just enabled it, didn't know it was off. I managed to work around the issue
by modifying /etc/gai.conf to prefer IPv4 over IPv6
thepouar--- via arch-general
2018-02-10 17:18:17 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 09:46:27 -0600
Post by thepouar--- via arch-general
Had this problem for a few days, first noticed when I tried searching for a
package. my ip address is 172.7.224.99. Is there something going on or is
it something from my end? only 2 things I could think of but seemed
unlikely was that my server was sending spam (which would be bad because
it would mean someone broke in, but I didn't notice anything in the logs)
or from checking out the ABS tree from the git server, but I've been doing
a shallow clone for the initial checkout (git clone --depth=1) and a shallow
fetch for updates (git fetch --depth=1, followed by a git reset --hard) to
try to avoid stressing out the git server. Was that still too much? Other
than those 2 possibilties, the only thing I can think of is that my ISP is
somehow screwing up again.
ok, it seems to be a DNS issue on my end, as the problem goes away after
adding the site's ip adddress to /etc/hosts
thepouar--- via arch-general
2018-02-10 17:46:21 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:18:17 -0600
[...]
Seems to be related to IPv6 as it works when I disable it