Arch Wiki Professional_audio
2017-03-30 06:09:36 UTC

the Wiki [ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio ]
opens with...

"This article or section needs expansion." and a link to the
discussion, but I still don't understand what actually is missing.

...followed by an unrealistic claim about grotesque low latency.

The article included wrong information, I already removed

"If you want to use any MIDI hardware you need to ensure the ALSA MIDI
driver is loaded. You can set the MIDI driver to load at boot by
creating the file /etc/modules-load.d/alsamidi.conf containing:"

IIRC apart from a bug that caused that the driver wasn't loaded, the
driver always gets loaded automatically.

There are claims about rtc, 1000Hz. This was valid, but IMO should be
obsolete now.

Etc., pp. ...

I don't want to rewrite the Wiki, especially because I won't and/or
can't test every hint. Please contribute to the Wiki and/or to the
"This and that" discussion
[ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Professional_audio ].

Regards,
Ralf
David Runge
2017-03-30 07:51:17 UTC
[...]
Hey Ralf,
You're right.
Many articles need expansion/ rewrite indeed.

I have some things to add. Did a talk about low-latency setups on Arch during Linux Audio Conference 2015.
There's some useful stuff in there, including realtime settings and systemd user service for JACK, that I just never committed.

Thanks for the reminder! ;-)

Best,
David
https://sleepmap.de
Grady Martin via arch-general
2017-03-30 16:24:38 UTC
Post by David Runge
I have some things to add. Did a talk about low-latency setups on Arch during Linux Audio Conference 2015.
There's some useful stuff in there, including realtime settings and systemd user service for JACK, that I just never committed.
This is the talk, right?

http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2015/video.php?id=60

It is right up my alley. Thank you for mentioning it.
David Runge
2017-03-30 16:36:48 UTC
Post by David Runge
There's some useful stuff in there, including realtime settings and
systemd user service for JACK, that I just never committed.
This is the talk, right?
http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2015/video.php?id=60
It is right up my alley. Thank you for mentioning it.
Exactly.

The stuff is also still available in AUR, even has seen some upgrades and I'm still using it successfully in large-scale and multichannel setups.
https://sleepmap.de
Rashif Ray Rahman
2017-04-27 16:52:30 UTC
Great to know there was a talk about Arch pro-audio in LAC! I think there
is a lot of information there that you can add to the wiki. I did a rewrite
once but as Ralf said, rewriting again can be quite difficult.

Ralf, David, and anyone else invested in pro-audio now -- let me hijack
this thread a bit: Can you guys have a look at https://linuxmusicians.com/
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17034 and see if you're interested in taking over the
ArchAudio project? Thanks.
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1
David Runge
2017-04-27 17:16:59 UTC
Post by Rashif Ray Rahman
Great to know there was a talk about Arch pro-audio in LAC! I think there
is a lot of information there that you can add to the wiki. I did a rewrite
once but as Ralf said, rewriting again can be quite difficult.
Yeah, there will be even another this year, but mainly on Arch Linux ARM
on Raspberry Pi 3 (for teaching sound synthesis using the jack API and
C++) this time.
Post by Rashif Ray Rahman
Ralf, David, and anyone else invested in pro-audio now -- let me hijack
this thread a bit: Can you guys have a look at https://linuxmusicians.com/
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17034 and see if you're interested in taking over the
ArchAudio project? Thanks.
Sounds great. Before the beginning of July I don't have much time
though, as I'm in the same boat you were in (thesis and all that
madness).

On the plus side: I have been using Arch for about 10 years now and it
would be nice to get a little more into packaging (aside from the AUR)
and signing.
I don't see myself going to use another distro for audio in the future,
so I'd be happy to revive it somehow.
Guess Ralf might also be interested (from reading a lot about real-time
kernels in his mails)?!

Well, you got my contact.

Best,
David
https://sleepmap.de
Ray Rashif via arch-general
2017-04-28 07:19:20 UTC
Post by David Runge
Sounds great. Before the beginning of July I don't have much time
though, as I'm in the same boat you were in (thesis and all that
madness).
On the plus side: I have been using Arch for about 10 years now and it
would be nice to get a little more into packaging (aside from the AUR)
and signing.
I don't see myself going to use another distro for audio in the future,
so I'd be happy to revive it somehow.
Guess Ralf might also be interested (from reading a lot about real-time
kernels in his mails)?!
Well, you got my contact.
Ok thanks guys. @Ralf sure no obligation. @David I will let Jon know
about your potential interest.

P.S: Apologies for the top-posting and HTML, I forgot I had enabled
HTML for some "corporate" communication.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

Ralf Mardorf
2017-04-27 17:22:13 UTC
Post by Rashif Ray Rahman
Can you guys have a look at
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17034 and see if you're
interested in taking over the ArchAudio project?
Hi Ray,

after being long-term unemployed I'll sign up tomorrow or next week. I
will work full-time for at least 1½ years, so I not only have less
time, it's also an issue that I'm not used to this kind of inflexible
daily routine. In short, no, taking over ArchAudio is ill-timed.

Regards,
Ralf