problems on installing grub on a new system
Steve Downes
2017-04-02 12:55:36 UTC
Can someone point me at what I've missed please:-

I'm doing a new installation of archlinux & got as far as installing
grub apparently without problem. Installing grub gives:-

Failed to get canonical path of `airootfs'

This means nothing to me & I can't find anything. Could use some
guidance before I start again, or even better instead of starting
again.

Steve
Patrick Eigensatz via arch-general
2017-04-02 13:06:19 UTC
Hello Steve

Can you point out how you configured your system? (How many disks, how they
are partitioned)

Do you install grub on an UEFI system? What was the grub-install command
you used?

- Patrick
Steve
David Runge
2017-04-02 13:20:09 UTC
Hey Steve,
Post by Patrick Eigensatz via arch-general
Can you point out how you configured your system? (How many disks, how they
are partitioned)
Do you install grub on an UEFI system? What was the grub-install command
you used?
Yes, please, all of that.
Post by Steve Downes
Failed to get canonical path of `airootfs'
I get the feeling you might have been installing to your installation
media, if it was a usb stick.

Make sure you're installing to the correct device, by having a look at:

`ls -lah /dev/disk/by-id`

Best,
David
https://sleepmap.de
Ralf Mardorf
2017-04-02 14:48:51 UTC
Post by David Runge
Post by Steve Downes
Failed to get canonical path of `airootfs'
I get the feeling you might have been installing to your installation
media, if it was a usb stick.
`ls -lah /dev/disk/by-id`
Hi,

there are several possible reasons to get this error. One reason could
be installing grub, if you try it from a Linux running in a
systemd-nspawn container. IOW also mention from where you try to
install grub.

Btw. a while back I migrated from grub to syslinux for my Linux
multi-boot machine, this means no Windows, no FreeBSD, no UEFI or
anything else, just several Linux installs. FWIW I'm still using MBR. I
like syslinux much better than grub, but it might not fit to the taste
of everybody.

Regards,
Ralf
Steve Downes
2017-04-02 19:32:28 UTC
HI Ralf

I don't know what happened to my previous reply, I never got a copy
(It was witten on my tablet because I was working in the house). Here
is an approx copy.

I have yet to learn much about a systemd-nspawn container but I'll try.

I didn't nkow what syslinux was supposed to do but I'll research it now.

Many thanks

Steve
Ralf
Steve Downes
2017-04-02 19:26:10 UTC
I don't know what happened to my previous reply, I never got a copy
(It was witten on my tablet because I was working in the house). Here
is an approx copy.

I send separately to you a photo of the output of ls -lah
/dev/disk/by-id` My apologies to you & the list but I could think of
no other way. I can find no reason to believe I was writing to the usb
& I was aware of the risk of doing that when I tried to write grub to
sda1

Mant thanks for your help.

Steve
https://sleepmap.de
Steve Downes
2017-04-02 19:10:42 UTC
I don't know what happened to my previous reply, I never got a copy
(It was witten on my tablet because I was working in the house). Here
is an approx copy.

It is not a new laptop, it isn't UEFI.I installed by using a USB
installation key & following the Arch instructions through which
seemed OK until I reached install grup install. I thought all was
well.

The 1 hard disk was formatted as follows:-

/dev/sda split into:-
/dev/sda1 ext4 30gig to hold whole OS
/dev/swap
/dev/sda3 ext4 Approx 100G /homegrub

Install command was grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda1

I think that covers it.

Steve
Patrick Eigensatz via arch-general
2017-04-02 19:25:59 UTC
Hi Steve

I'm not a grub expert, but I think the wiki [1] tells me you don't call
grub-install on a partition (sda1) but on a device (sda).

The grub-install command that should work would therefore be:

grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda1

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

- Patrick

Steve Downes <***@kingswayelec.co.uk> schrieb am So., 2. Apr. 2017, 21:10:

I don't know what happened to my previous reply, I never got a copy
(It was witten on my tablet because I was working in the house). Here
is an approx copy.

It is not a new laptop, it isn't UEFI.I installed by using a USB
installation key & following the Arch instructions through which
seemed OK until I reached install grup install. I thought all was
well.

The 1 hard disk was formatted as follows:-

/dev/sda split into:-
/dev/sda1 ext4 30gig to hold whole OS
/dev/swap
/dev/sda3 ext4 Approx 100G /homegrub

Install command was grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda1

I think that covers it.

Many thanks

Steve

On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 01:06:19PM +0000, Patrick Eigensatz via
Steve
David C. Rankin
2017-04-08 04:28:45 UTC
Post by Steve Downes
grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda1
Umm

# grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda

(note: NO '1' at end)
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Dragon ryu via arch-general
2017-04-08 04:39:11 UTC
2017/04/08 午後1:38 "Dragon ryu" <***@gmail.com>:

Are you sure that system isn't UEFI?
also are you doing that in chrooted?
Step by step :)
Also sorry for top post :|
David C. Rankin
2017-04-08 04:49:03 UTC
Post by Dragon ryu via arch-general
Are you sure that system isn't UEFI?
also are you doing that in chrooted?
Step by step :)
No, I was basing the correct on the quoted material at the top of the post, if
it is UEFI, by all means install to the partition, my bad.
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Dragon ryu via arch-general
2017-04-08 05:52:58 UTC
Post by Dragon ryu via arch-general
Are you sure that system isn't UEFI?
also are you doing that in chrooted?
Step by step :)
No, I was basing the correct on the quoted material at the top of the post,
if
it is UEFI, by all means install to the partition, my bad.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

if UEFI, you need to make ESP formatted with fat32.
But mounting to boot will work.
also for grub, you need more option.

Ralf Mardorf
2017-04-02 19:28:53 UTC
Post by Steve Downes
I don't know what happened to my previous reply, I never got a copy
You could check the archive.

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2017-April/date.html

Until now your original message didn't come through.

You tried to install grub within an "arch-chroot"?

Regards,
Ralf