Increase console size regardless of screen size
Storm Dragon via arch-general
2017-08-27 14:14:10 UTC
Howdy,
I am blind, and don't even have a screen connected to this computer. For some reason, my console size is 30 lines and 80 columns. I've not seen this small of a console before. they usually have 50+ lines and over 100 columns.

I have searched for quite a while, but not found anything about increasing the console size. I did find a python script that will set the screen to the actual size, but it returns 30 80 as well, so no luck there either. One site said you could just export the lines and columns you want, but that failed, even though the variables were set correctly.

Is there any way to set the lines and columns regardless of the size your computer believes the screen to be?
Thanks for any help,
Storm
--
Powered by Arch Linux! I am registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html
Well I asked my old pappy why he called his brew White lightnin' stead of mountain dew, I took a little sip and right away I knew. And my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue, lightnin' started flashin' thunder started crashin, (whew white lightnin).
George Jones
brent s.
2017-08-27 14:50:29 UTC
Post by Storm Dragon via arch-general
Howdy,
I am blind, and don't even have a screen connected to this computer. For
some reason, my console size is 30 lines and 80 columns. I've not seen
this small of a console before. they usually have 50+ lines and over 100
columns.
I have searched for quite a while, but not found anything about
increasing the console size. I did find a python script that will set
the screen to the actual size, but it returns 30 80 as well, so no luck
there either. One site said you  could just export the lines and columns
you want, but that failed, even though the variables were set correctly.
Is there any way to set the lines and columns regardless of the size
your computer believes the screen to be?
Thanks for any help,
Storm
Storm-

Is this on a braille display via brltty? Or via a screen
reader/TTS/speech synthesizer?

If the former, which model is your braille device?

I have noticed this issue before with VGA framebuffer resolutions (or
KMS mode resolution) being less than ideal, but I'm not quite sure if
brltty does translations *from* the VGA or if it occurs at a lower level
and emulates a VGA display to the kernel. I unfortunately have no
experience with this or frame of reference and no devices to test with
either, but I'd say I'm intrigued by how it handles this.

If brltty does appear as a VGA device to the kernel, I should note that
80x30 is a standard mode of grub legacy (specifically, mode 0f05 or type
4). However, unless you specifically installed and configured your
system to use grub legacy, I can't see that being relevant.

I would try setting:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x24 # or whatever the max resolution is?
# start conservatively and work your way up
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

in /etc/default/grub and re-running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
to see if this makes any difference either way in how it renders to
however you're interacting with it.

Best of luck; do please keep us posted, as I've never interacted with
vision-impaired terminals before so this is new territory for me.
--
brent saner
http://www.square-r00t.net
Storm Dragon via arch-general
2017-08-27 16:28:51 UTC
Howdy,
I am using speech and screen. My screen reader is Fenrir, available from the AUR:

https://github.com/chrys87/fenrir

I am using an Odroid XU4 with which is an ARM machine. So it uses uboot. I did uncomment a larger screen setting in the boot.txt file and did mkscr to compile it. Here is the line from boot.txt:

# 1920x1080 (1080P) without monitor data using generic information (1080p-noedid)
setenv videoconfig "drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/1920x1080.bin"

It still insists on the tiny terminal though. This is the only thing standing between me and the perfect setup lol.
Thanks
Storm
Post by brent s.
[...]
My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.tk/
get my public PGP key: gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-key 43DDC193
Twitter and Facebook are so ... yesteryear. Get your 2MB Social account TODAY! http://2mb.social/main/register
The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones.
"The sound of evil laughter falls around the world tonight."
DragonForce - through the Fire and Flames
Mauro Santos via arch-general
2017-08-27 17:19:37 UTC
Post by Storm Dragon via arch-general
I am using an Odroid XU4 with which is an ARM machine. So it uses uboot.
I did uncomment a larger screen setting in the boot.txt file and did
You are using Arch Linux ARM, which is a separate distribution and you
want to ask on their support channels.

This mailing list is for Arch Linux which supports only x86-64 (and i686
for a little while longer) and uses different methods to boot (different
bootloaders or by using EFISTUB on UEFI systems) so I suspect not many
people here will know how to make uboot do what you want.
Mauro Santos
Jérôme M. Berger
2017-08-27 16:35:30 UTC
Post by Storm Dragon via arch-general
Howdy,
I am blind, and don't even have a screen connected to this computer. For some reason, my console size is 30 lines and 80 columns. I've not seen this small of a console before. they usually have 50+ lines and over 100 columns.
I have searched for quite a while, but not found anything about increasing the console size. I did find a python script that will set the screen to the actual size, but it returns 30 80 as well, so no luck there either. One site said you could just export the lines and columns you want, but that failed, even though the variables were set correctly.
Is there any way to set the lines and columns regardless of the size your computer believes the screen to be?
Thanks for any help,
Storm
I'd suggest trying to use "stty rows N columns M" to force terminal
size regarless of what the kernel believes it to be.

Jerome
--
mailto:***@free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Diaspora*: https://framasphere.org/u/jeberger
Storm Dragon via arch-general
2017-08-27 17:02:33 UTC
Howdy,
The stty command did chage the variables, even reported by tput, but the actual size did not change.

Thanks
Storm
Post by Jérôme M. Berger
[...]
Follow me on GNU Social: https://social.stormdragon.tk/storm
"Death or glory i will find, Rebellion on my mind."
Grave Digger - Rebellion (The Clans Are Marching)
Jude DaShiell
2017-08-28 04:32:07 UTC
I thought that was rows and cols for the variable names to do this, but
could be wrong.