Creating a Radius Ethernet Profile with netctl
Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general
2017-03-02 10:20:24 UTC

I have a 802.11X connection here at my campus, and I don't know how to
set this up with the netctl utility on the Arch Linux ISO. Are there
guides on accomplishing this? Also, when I connect normally, there is
a web site that comes up asking for my log on reedentials. How do I
bypass this with netctl if possible, and if not, how do I
authenticate?

Hunter
Jack
2017-03-02 16:15:24 UTC
Hi Hunter,

I would recommend using a wireless AP in client mode attached to a
ethernet router with NAT enabled.

You can authenticate once with any device behind the router, then every
device attached to the router should have internet access without
showing the login site.

~ Jack
Hi,
Hunter
Guus Snijders via arch-general
2017-03-02 19:05:04 UTC
Op 2 mrt. 2017 11:20 schreef "Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general" <
arch-***@archlinux.org>:

Hi,

I have a 802.11X connection here at my campus, and I don't know how to
set this up with the netctl utility on the Arch Linux ISO. Are there
guides on accomplishing this?

A quick search shows that wpasupplicant can be used for wired also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Network802.1xAuthentication

Not a direct guide to netctl, but perhaps you can make it work.

Also, when I connect normally, there is
a web site that comes up asking for my log on reedentials. How do I
bypass this with netctl if possible, and if not, how do I
authenticate?

I think that once you've authenticated, you won't get the webpage. Or
actually; you shouldn't. Once authenticated, you should be fine (afaik).

Mvg, Guus Snijders
L. Rose
2017-03-02 23:20:59 UTC
Post by Guus Snijders via arch-general
Op 2 mrt. 2017 11:20 schreef "Hunter Jozwiak via arch-general" <
Hi,
I have a 802.11X connection here at my campus, and I don't know how to
set this up with the netctl utility on the Arch Linux ISO. Are there
guides on accomplishing this?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Network802.1xAuthentication
Not a direct guide to netctl, but perhaps you can make it work.
Also, when I connect normally, there is
a web site that comes up asking for my log on reedentials. How do I
bypass this with netctl if possible, and if not, how do I
authenticate?
I think that once you've authenticated, you won't get the webpage. Or
actually; you shouldn't. Once authenticated, you should be fine (afaik).
Mvg, Guus Snijders
I am afraid you won't get around wpa_supplicant, unless you connect
through a connection you authenticated from another device.
wpa_supplicant is pretty convenient for command line, though. I used it
to connect a Raspberry Pi to my university network using 802.11X. As
wpa_supplicant is not included in the arch install iso (I guess) you'd
probably want to download the required pacman packages to a usb drive
through another machine and then install those packages using pacman
within the arch linux install machine. This is best done following
article [0], as it watches for dependencies.

Probably your university has instructions on how to connect to 802.11X
Ethernet using linux command line, mine does. These are usually pretty
convenient, since they include all the specific settings for your LAN.

[0]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Offline_installation_of_packages