Handling GeForce GTX 850M GPU on Arch Linux
c***@mail2tor.com
2015-05-15 23:31:33 UTC
Hello all,

I've juste installed a new computer and I feel like I'm having trouble
with my NVIDIA GPU but it could be something else so I've enclosed
detailed output. As you can see in [lspci] output, my GPU is `NVIDIA
Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] (rev a2)` whose specification can be
found in [specs].

The trouble I'd like to solve has the following symptoms:
→ Sometimes during booting process, it issues a lot of lines like
`nouveau E[ PFIFO][0000:01:00.0] SCHED_ERROR [ UNK06 ]` (see [dmesg]
output for full details). This seems to appear randomly: somtimes it has
to reboot two or three times before being able to boot correctly,
sometimes it just needs once and doesn't have nay troubles.
→ Some other times, windows appears to stop responding with no
reasons. I have to mouse the pointer off so the window display will
unfreeze and then I can put the pointer over again. I've found it seems to
be related to lines like this one `nouveau E[ PIBUS][0000:01:00.0] HUB0:
0x000001 0x00000002 (0xbad00100)` in [dmesg]. It starts at timestamp
28.115820.
→ Sometimes, even the window manager (Gnome) freezes and I have to
go to a tty to have a chance to get it unfreeze. It doesn't always work
then sometimes I have to reboot my computer because it has become
absolutely frozen (no mouse, no keyboard, even the keyboard CAPS light
responds no more).
→ Finally, in Arch Linux I've become used to have X server started
over tty1 and tty from 2 to 7 free. Actually, when startup reaches the end
without faults, it start X server on tty1 then GDM (Gnome Display Manager)
is shown on tty1 but once I log in to my account, my desktop is shown on
tty2 and tty1 keeps displaying GDM.

I'm quite puzzled by this and I don't know whether the last symptom is a
bug or a feature (maybe multiple user simultaneous outputs). I've also
enclosed for your information my [Xorg.0.log] file and [lsmod] output. If
it's a bug, which software should I fill a bug report to? nouveau driver,
X, GDM, Gnome?

Just feel free to ask any further data you'd need about my configuration.

Thank you in advance for you reply and have a good weekend!

Caocoa

--- references
[lspci] https://pastee.org/mtwkr
[specs] http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-850m
[dmesg] https://pastee.org/zd4tt
[lsmod] https://pastee.org/t5z4e
[Xorg.0.log] https://pastee.org/r5tak
Ralf Mardorf
2015-05-16 04:09:19 UTC
Post by c***@mail2tor.com
[Xorg.0.log] https://pastee.org/r5tak
A quasi grep EE ...

"[snip]
[ 42.879] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
[ 42.879] RIVA TNT (NV04)
[ 42.879] RIVA TNT2 (NV05)
[ 42.879] GeForce 256 (NV10)
[ 42.879] GeForce 2 (NV11, NV15)
[ 42.879] GeForce 4MX (NV17, NV18)
[ 42.879] GeForce 3 (NV20)
[ 42.879] GeForce 4Ti (NV25, NV28)
[ 42.879] GeForce FX (NV3x)
[ 42.879] GeForce 6 (NV4x)
[ 42.879] GeForce 7 (G7x)
[ 42.879] GeForce 8 (G8x)
[ 42.879] GeForce GTX 200 (NVA0)
[ 42.879] GeForce GTX 400 (NVC0)
[snip]
[ 42.904] (II) glamor: OpenGL accelerated X.org driver based.
[ 42.924] (II) glamor: EGL version 1.4 (DRI2):
[ 42.924] EGL_MESA_drm_image required.
[ 42.924] (EE) NOUVEAU(G0): [GLAMOR] failed to initialise EGL
[snip]
[ 42.924] (EE) NOUVEAU(G0): Error creating GPU channel: -19
[ 42.924] (EE) NOUVEAU(G0): Error initialising acceleration.
Falling back to NoAccel [ 42.924] (**) NOUVEAU(G0): [COPY]
acceleration disabled [snip]"

... and searching the web for "Error initialising acceleration. Falling
back to NoAccel" and "Linux noveau GeForce GTX 850M" I just found
recommendations to use the vesa or the proprietary driver. IOW when
using GNOME you should use the proprietary driver. Did you already test
it?
Florian Pelz
2015-05-16 06:49:32 UTC
Post by c***@mail2tor.com
→ Sometimes, even the window manager (Gnome) freezes and I have to
go to a tty to have a chance to get it unfreeze. It doesn't always work
then sometimes I have to reboot my computer because it has become
absolutely frozen (no mouse, no keyboard, even the keyboard CAPS light
responds no more).
This happened to me before and I'm using an Intel GPU. It's rare though;
I haven't seen it with the new GNOME 3.16. I hope you have a SysRq key
for proper rebooting [1].
Post by c***@mail2tor.com
Finally, in Arch Linux I've become used to have X server started
over tty1 and tty from 2 to 7 free. Actually, when startup reaches the end
without faults, it start X server on tty1 then GDM (Gnome Display Manager)
is shown on tty1 but once I log in to my account, my desktop is shown on
tty2 and tty1 keeps displaying GDM.
I'm quite puzzled by this and I don't know whether the last symptom is a
bug or a feature (maybe multiple user simultaneous outputs). I've also
enclosed for your information my [Xorg.0.log] file and [lsmod] output. If
it's a bug, which software should I fill a bug report to? nouveau driver,
X, GDM, Gnome?
I don't think this is a bug. It happens for me too and I like it because
I can log in with multiple users and easily and rapidly switch between them.

I don't know if the proprietary Nvidia driver is better than Nouveau for
GNOME usage. It has less features, even though rendering is faster. I
don't have problems with it, but I don't remember problems back then
when I used Nouveau either.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_shortcuts#Kernel
Ralf Mardorf
2015-05-16 08:54:40 UTC
Post by Florian Pelz
I don't know if the proprietary Nvidia driver is better than Nouveau
for GNOME usage.
The proprietary driver at least supports the GTX 800 series.

My interpretation of the log is, that nouveau doesn't support it.

[snip]"
Leonidas Spyropoulos
2015-05-16 09:00:48 UTC
Post by Florian Pelz
I don't know if the proprietary Nvidia driver is better than Nouveau for
GNOME usage. It has less features, even though rendering is faster. I
don't have problems with it, but I don't remember problems back then
when I used Nouveau either.
Recenty I had to fall back to nouveau for some issues with kernel
compilation. I noticed that nouveau is OK but spits out a lot of errors
similar to the ones you mentioned. Other than that my Gnome is working
fine.

I'd test with NVIDIA driver, see if you have better results.

Nouveau is driver by reverse engineering the Nvidia's proprietary Linux
drivers so new features like supporting the Nvidia 850M might not be so
supported.

AIS Information
2015-05-16 13:25:32 UTC
------------------------------
Message: 4
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 23:31:33 -0000
Subject: [arch-general] Handling GeForce GTX 850M GPU on Arch Linux
[...]
are you loading the nouveau module early via mkinitcpio.conf modules
array? if not, i'd do that first. i don't know what you've read so far
but i'd start with the arch wiki on nouveau then go to the nouveau wiki.
yours is the nv110 family.

nouveau feature matrix:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/

early support for maxwell and glamor last summer:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTcyNDM

you could also just install the binary blob from nvidia and see if that
fixes the issues as another has suggested, though that would be a *last*
resort for me, assuming i owned any nvidia chippery, that is.
Ralf Mardorf
2015-05-16 13:38:54 UTC
Post by AIS Information
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
Then also care about
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement/ , fortunately
sensors and fanspeed control is done. I don't know if thermal
BIOS settings are important too.

AIS Information
2015-05-16 13:35:27 UTC
Message: 4
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 23:31:33 -0000
[...]
Also, i think yours is the vp6 video engine listed here:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/

your card may still be too new for nouveau. It takes a little while for
nouveau to catch up and mobile cards are worse. Also, they may not have
a laptop with your card (or similar enough) for testing. They might
would appreciate help testing, if you were able.

good luck
AIS Information
2015-05-16 13:37:44 UTC
Message: 4
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 23:31:33 -0000
[...]
also, see this:

"GM107 requires extraction of context switching firmware for
acceleration, GM204 only provides modesetting"