Upgrade to Linux 4.17.2 & xorg-server 1.20.0-8 breaks left-mouse in remote Linux desktops
David C. Rankin
2018-06-18 22:43:12 UTC
All,

This is a strange one, confirmed on two separate Archlinux Guests running in
VirtualBox on Archlinux Hosts. I access the running VMs with rdesktop over the
LAN. After update to Linux 4.17.2 & xorg-server 1.20.0-8, VirtualBox-5.2.12
starts the Archlinux guests fine, X starts fine in the guests (running
fluxbox), and pressing the right-mouse brings up the fluxbox-menu fine, but
there is no way to select an item with the left-mouse.

The left-mouse click seems to be taken as an escape closing the menu without
actually selecting anything. It is as if the left-mouse (and cursor position
in general) isn't seen at all (there is no highlight in the menu when the
mouse moves over an item)

Thankfully, the fluxbox designers made the menu respond to keyboard inputs,
so after bringing the fluxbox-menu up, I can up-arrow/down-arrow to an xterm
entry and open an xterm by pressing return.

When the xterm is open, there is no way to grab the title-bar and move the
xterm around, again, as if the left-mouse input isn't seen. An moving the
cursor over the bottom of the window will not bring up the taskbar.

This effects Linux guest, but not windows guests. I can start Win7 in a VM
and opening in remote-desktop works just fine. (all mouse buttons work fine
and the cursor position tracks properly bringing up the auto-hidden taskbar on
mouseover)

Can someone with a similar VirtualBox setup confirm this behavior? I suspect
it would effect any Linux Guest that runs X and a desktop and is accessed with
rdesktop. For all practical purposes this update prevent accessing Linux guest
with rdesktop.

I start my virtual machines from a simple bash script using:

exec VBoxManage startvm arch_1_64 --type headless

(I doubt that makes a difference, but for completeness)
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Lukas Winkler via arch-general
2018-06-19 06:31:23 UTC
On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 at 00:43, David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
[...]
Hi David + List

Same behaviour for me. I resolved it by installing the synaptics input
driver in the guest for now as I did not have time to debug.

BR
Gurnaik V via arch-general
2018-06-19 07:02:05 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
[...]
I have the same behaviour on my Arch Linux guest, but for me both right-
and left-click do not work. I have had to downgrade the kernel and the
VirtualBox guest modules.

Regards,
Gurnaik
David C. Rankin
2018-06-21 08:19:47 UTC
I have the same behaviour on my Arch Linux guest, but for me both right- and
left-click do not work. I have had to downgrade the kernel and the VirtualBox
guest modules.
Well, I'm glad I'm not crazy.

ArchDevs, should I open a bug on this?

It seems the xorg update has linux guests within virtual box to not receive
left (and for some right) mouse inputs. Prior to this update the Arch guest in
virtualbox have been working fine for years.

Is there some additional, specific diagnostics I can provide that would help?
I'm a bit lost as to what to look for. I can log the output of xev if you like
and describe what didn't happen, but that seems a bit subjective. What would help?
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
David C. Rankin
2018-06-21 22:36:00 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
I have the same behaviour on my Arch Linux guest, but for me both right- and
left-click do not work. I have had to downgrade the kernel and the VirtualBox
guest modules.
Well, I'm glad I'm not crazy.
ArchDevs, should I open a bug on this?
It seems the xorg update has linux guests within virtual box to not receive
left (and for some right) mouse inputs. Prior to this update the Arch guest in
virtualbox have been working fine for years.
Is there some additional, specific diagnostics I can provide that would help?
I'm a bit lost as to what to look for. I can log the output of xev if you like
and describe what didn't happen, but that seems a bit subjective. What would help?
Found open bug:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59091

If you are experiencing problems, you can add your observations and comments
there.
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
David C. Rankin
2018-06-22 19:15:39 UTC
Post by Radu via arch-general
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59091
If you are experiencing problems, you can add your observations and comments
there.
There is also a bug open on Oracles bugzilla:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17827
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Ralph Corderoy
2018-06-19 08:57:13 UTC
Hi David,
Post by David C. Rankin
The left-mouse click seems to be taken as an escape closing the menu
without actually selecting anything. It is as if the left-mouse (and
cursor position in general) isn't seen at all (there is no highlight
in the menu when the mouse moves over an item)
xev(1) from package xorg-xev can be useful to diagnose what X events are
being generated.
--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy
Carsten Mattner via arch-general
2018-06-19 09:37:55 UTC
Is there a guide to migrate from synaptics to libinput?
I tried and failed to configure Wayland's libinput
to behave like my xf86-input-synaptics config, and
that has been enough experience to not try
xf86-input-libinput, at least for the moment.
Radu via arch-general
2018-06-20 14:14:50 UTC
I'm running Arch in VBox under Windows and I'm getting similar behavior
since I've upgraded xorg-server, xorg-server-common, libinput. I had
updated the kernel in a previous step and I don't remember seeing this
behavior after upgrading just the kernel (and not xorg-server).
I've logged lipinput generated events and they seem ok (all mouse activity
is captured by the kernel/libinput driver). However, testing the xorg
events (xev) seems consistent with X behavior: no events comming to X from
libinp.
Another thing: my keyboard input also got stuck for a couple of times.
Therefore, maybe we should log a xorg-server bug?

P.S.: One partial workaround (making the left-click work): find a
region/window where the right-click works and right-click. After that you
have a chance of getting the left-click working for a limited (single?)
left-click event.
Big Husky via arch-general
2018-06-20 18:51:11 UTC
For me I downgraded just the kernel back to 4.16 and the mouse is back behaving normally. This is in Virtualbox on MacOS. The first left click worked to launch either the launch menu or one of the pinned programs. After that the mouse pointer would move but no more left click would work.

Big

left-click event.
Radu via arch-general
2018-06-21 06:43:09 UTC
I've raised a ticket on this issue:

FS#59091 - X intermittent input event handling (mostly mouse) after
xorg-server and libinput upgrade

and here's the link:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59091

I hope it's good - it's my first. Maybe it helps if you guys vote it?
Thanks!
Mark Raynsford via arch-general
2018-06-21 09:18:17 UTC
Somewhat related, the upgrade to 1.20.0 seems to have broken DosBox too:

I'm seeing this, and I'm also seeing mouse cursor corruption onscreen.
Hardly the end of the world, but it does seem to indicate that there
might have been some fairly broken changes made to mouse handling...
--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com