[archlinux] shepherd in Arch
Javier via arch-general
2017-12-26 01:24:18 UTC

Looking into [1] and [2], I noticed it's possible to get openRC
working from AUR in Arch, but more importantly, seems like it's also
possible to get shepherd working on Arch from AUR [1][3]. However, as
opposed to openRC, shepherd seems less documented. Both shepherd and
openRC appear as integrated inits for Arch...

Any documentation on migration to shepherd from AUR?

Please notice my intention is not to start a discussion about inits.
I know systemd is the "de facto" init for Arch. I just would like to
try shepherd on Arch. If possible using besides eudev, also elogind,
which seem also available from AUR. And all this from AUR...

Thanks,
--
Javier

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Init
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC
[3] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/shepherd
Ralf Mardorf
2017-12-26 08:00:16 UTC
Post by Javier via arch-general
Any documentation on migration to shepherd from AUR?
to add a comment to https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/shepherd to
request an Arch documentation. Most likely the submitter, maintainer and
last packager knows more about this topic, than the averaged arch
general subscriber. Did you notice that the package was first
submitted, as well as last updated on 2016-09-06? Take a look at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/shepherd.git , even the next and last
alpha release from upstream is from a year ago. Until today there are
only 7 commits after it was bumped to 0.3.2. If you want to migrate to
shepherd to help with development, you are much likely the volunteer who
needs to find out how to migrate to it. I suspect you want migrate to
it for a production environment, right?
Ralf Mardorf
2017-12-26 08:02:55 UTC
I suspect you want migrate to it for a production environment, right?
^^^^ this should read "won't"
--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-cornflower,-pussytoes}}|awk '{print $2}'
4.14.8-1