espeak ng and keeping packages in the aur up to date.
Matthew dyer via arch-general
2016-11-16 12:11:33 UTC
Hi all.

I am wondering about a couple of things. I have been using orca for some time now, but wondering if espeak NG will be coming to arch community any time soon.. In the mean time, does any know if it is in the aur?

Secondly I have yaourt installed and there are a few packages from the aur installed. What is the eaasyes way to keep the packages up to date. Is there a command through yaourt like sudo yaourt -Syu for example. I was reading about this in the arch wiki but did not find anything about how to do this offisiontly. If anyone knows how to do this, it would really be appriseated.

Thanks.

Matthew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Ralf Mardorf
2016-11-16 12:32:29 UTC
Post by Matthew dyer via arch-general
I am wondering about a couple of things. I have been using orca for
some time now, but wondering if espeak NG will be coming to arch
community any time soon.. In the mean time, does any know if it is in
the aur?
Are you serious?

yaourt -Ss espeak

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=espeak
Post by Matthew dyer via arch-general
Secondly I have yaourt installed and there are a few packages from the
aur installed. What is the eaasyes way to keep the packages up to
date. Is there a command through yaourt like sudo yaourt -Syu for
example.
Yes, there is

yaourt -Syua

but note, yaourt is neither an official supported, nor a recommended
tool. PKGBUILDs from AUR, especially when build from git, need your
attention, since there unlikely will be a release upgrade available, if
there should be a soname issue. It's your responsibility to maintain
those packages on your system.

man yaourt
man pacman

Regards,
Ralf
Alex Theotokatos via arch-general
2016-11-16 16:12:40 UTC
Are you serious?
yaourt -Ss espeak
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=espeak
espeak is on the official repositories, at community.
So you can use pacman to install it.
Ralf Mardorf
2016-11-16 16:30:18 UTC
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 18:12:40 +0200, Alex Theotokatos via arch-general
Post by Alex Theotokatos via arch-general
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Are you serious?
yaourt -Ss espeak
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=espeak
espeak is on the official repositories, at community.
So you can use pacman to install it.
How does this help the OP? espeak-ng is provided by AUR, 4 votes,
popularity 0.88. There is no espeak-ng available by official
repositories. I gave an answer to the questions the OP was asking.

[***@moonstudio archlinux]# systemd-nspawn -q yaourt -Ss espeak | head -12
Failed to create directory /mnt/archlinux/sys/fs/selinux: Read-only file system
Failed to create directory /mnt/archlinux/sys/fs/selinux: Read-only file system
community/espeak 1.48.04-2 [installed]
Text to Speech engine for English, with support for other languages
community/espeakup 0.80-1 [installed]
Allows the Speakup screen review system to use the ESpeak synthesizer.
community/gespeaker 0.8.6-1
A GTK+ frontend for espeak and mbrola to speech the read text.
community/stardict-lite 3.0.6-2
International dictionary software - lite version without gnome and espeak support
aur/asterisk-espeak 2.2-1 (0) (0.00)
Asterisk module that provides the "eSpeak" dialplan application. It allows you to use the eSpeak text to speech synthesizer.
aur/espeak-ng-git 0.0-1 (4) (0.88)
Next generation open source speech synthesizer based on Espeak (git version)

Regards,
Ralf
Matthew dyer via arch-general
2016-11-16 21:14:27 UTC
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

2016-11-16 22:43:11 UTC
According to Matthew dyer:
# How do I know if I am running espeak ng?

Espeak-ng-git is a package in the AUR. It is not a supported Arch
package, especially since it depends on pcaudiolib-git, which is also an
AUR package. These packages are cloned from master git repositories, so
most likely won't be grabbed by a TU until there is an actual release.

The espeak package from the community repository is the last version of
the original non-ng espeak as released by Jonathan Duddington before he
appeared for all intents and purposes to have fallen off the face of the
internet. If you have installed espeak via pacman, you can safely assume
that you are not running espeak-ng, as there hasn't yet been an official
release of espeak-ng, and the espeak and espeak-ng packages are set to
conflict in Arch. Hope this helps.
Sent from the joy in repetition
Ralf Mardorf
2016-11-16 23:11:26 UTC
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
espeak is on the official repositories, at community.
So you can use pacman to install it.
Hi,
How do I know if I am running espeak ng? Espeak is already being
used. I jst wondered If this is the case then I should be able to do
sudo pacman -S espeak. I will have to rtake a look next time I boot
up my arch system. I want to use espeak ng, Sonar already uses this.
Thanks.
If you would simply run the yaourt command or follow the link, you
wouldn't need to ask this.

If you would have read my reply to Alex's reply, you also wouldn't have
ask.

Apart from this, you also could run "-Si" and take a look at the URLs,
let alone that you could take a look at the PKGBUILDs.

[***@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si espeak | grep URL

As already pointed out in m y first reply, pacman as well as yaourt
provide a manual page.

Regards,
Ralf
Jude DaShiell
2016-11-17 00:24:58 UTC
Did you ever download a package from aur before? If not you can get and
set up yaourt on archlinux but some edits have to be done to
/etc/pacman.conf and then you need to run two pacman commands to first
update your repositories and then install yaourt. I do it like this:

edit /etc/pacman.conf as root and add these lines:
[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

Save the file and exit.
Next run:
pacman -Sy yaourt <cr>

You may install optional dependencies after that.
Then run:
yaourt -Syua <enter>
Finally run:
yaourt -Ss espeakup|less <enter>
and you shall hear.

To check this, run:
Yaourt -S espeak-ng <enter>
If you're told espeak and espeak-ng conflict you have espeak on your
machine and will be offered the opportunity to remove it if you like.

The arch-general list most certainly is not the blinux-list. Hope this
helps.
That -syua command updates everything on the aur repository in addition
to all other repositories you have installed.
On
Doug Newgard
2016-11-17 00:50:49 UTC
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:24:58 -0500 (EST)
Post by Jude DaShiell
[...]
Please, do NOT recommend using the archlinux.fr repo. It causes problems all of
the time. Also, do NOT recommend skipping over learning how the AUR actually
works. You're just setting people up for future failure.
Travis Collins via arch-general
2016-11-17 01:08:41 UTC
Post by Doug Newgard
Please, do NOT recommend using the archlinux.fr repo. It causes problems all of
the time. Also, do NOT recommend skipping over learning how the AUR actually
works. You're just setting people up for future failure.
Agreed. Downloading yaourt, finding the dependencies, installing them all
manually, are great primers for actually using AUR. yaourt makes it easy to
blow right through installs without looking at the PKGBUILD. Even after
discovering yaourt, I still installed AUR packages manually until I
understood the process and was comfortable with it.

Travis
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2016-11-17 03:56:14 UTC
Post by Jude DaShiell
Did you ever download a package from aur before? If not you can get and
set up yaourt on archlinux but some edits have to be done to
/etc/pacman.conf and then you need to run two pacman commands to first
[snip]
Please, do NOT recommend using the archlinux.fr repo. It causes problems all of
the time. Also, do NOT recommend skipping over learning how the AUR actually
works. You're just setting people up for future failure.
What I want to know is, given that the OP's original message clearly
stated he *already has* yaourt installed... why, oh why, must the peanut
gallery recommend *undoing* all that good work of manually (presumably
-- one hopes) installing an AUR helper, and instead recommend activating
the dreaded [archlinuxfr] repo?

(This peanut gallery has posted here before, somehow I am not surprised
he uses [archlinuxfr].)

Either Jude DaShiell didn't read the OP at all, just the subject line,
or he really, really, really wants people to use [archlinuxfr] for some
truly bizarre (and messed up) reason.

Either option is kind of scary.

I also couldn't help but notice, not only did he recommend [archlinuxfr]
he also recommended installing archlinuxfr/yaourt via a partial update!
Post by Doug Newgard
pacman -Sy yaourt <cr>
Matthew dyer via arch-general
2016-11-17 15:18:27 UTC

I ran the talking arch script which Kial has been working and when doing so, I got the aur helper running. The simple thing is this. I want to switch to espeak NG and yes I am aware of espeakup git. I know that I can install this. I am going to assoom then that if espeak NG ias in the aur, I could just install it and all should be well. I asked aabout keeping aur packages updated as it did not mention in the wiki how to do this with the asseption of any git packages which are cloned. Hope this makes sence,.

Post by Jude DaShiell
[...]

Post by Doug Newgard
pacman -Sy yaourt <cr>
2016-11-17 15:53:56 UTC
Post by Matthew dyer via arch-general
Hi,
I ran the talking arch script which Kial has been working and when
doing so, I got the aur helper running. The simple thing is this. I
want to switch to espeak NG and yes I am aware of espeakup git. I
know that I can install this. I am going to assoom then that if
espeak NG ias in the aur, I could just install it and all should be
well. I asked aabout keeping aur packages updated as it did not
mention in the wiki how to do this with the asseption of any git
packages which are cloned. Hope this makes sence,.
Matthew
Please don't top-post, as per the preference of the Arch mailing lists. :)
Also your email software is having problems with line-wrapping, it seems
to send plaintext with really long lines. I rewrapped the quoted part
above, BTW.

As for your question, search the yaourt manpage for the `--devel`
switch... most other AUR helpers should have something similar.

Really, that manpage could answer so many questions... just read it already.
2016-11-17 16:21:30 UTC
Post by Eli Schwartz via arch-general
As for your question, search the yaourt manpage for the `--devel`
switch... most other AUR helpers should have something similar.
"--devel
With -u or --sysupgrade, search an update for devel
packages."

My apologies, so my explanation seemingly isn't completely correct.
Anyway, the issue with shared libraries still remains.

Ralf Mardorf
2016-11-17 16:10:28 UTC
Post by Matthew dyer via arch-general
I ran the talking arch script which Kial has been working and when
doing so, I got the aur helper running. The simple thing is this. I
want to switch to espeak NG and yes I am aware of espeakup git. I
know that I can install this. I am going to assoom then that if
espeak NG ias in the aur, I could just install it and all should be
well. I asked aabout keeping aur packages updated as it did not
mention in the wiki how to do this with the asseption of any git
packages which are cloned. Hope this makes sence,.
A git package that doesn't provide a dedicated commit, but always gets
the latest commit from upstream, only will be upgraded, if the
maintainer needs to change e.g. build dependencies or configure
options. The version mentioned by AUR could be the same for years, but
if you rebuild the package, you would get another, newer version,
perhaps each minute.

yaourt -Syua

doesn't inform you about new git commits. You either need to take a
look from time to time at the upstream page, to check if there are new
commits, or you need to monitor an announce list (they unlikely will
announce each commit, but at least milestones) or write a script that
checks upstream. It the software build from an AUR git PKGBUILD links
against shared libraries provided by official repositories and the
soname of a library changes, you need to care about this yourself and
rebuild the package against the new library version.

There might be tools available that monitor upstream for you and will
inform you, if a new commit is available, but there unlikely is a tool
available that will check, if a major version of a library changed.

Regards,
Ralf
Jude DaShiell
2016-11-17 05:41:11 UTC
That message I sent was not intended for arch-general at all, sorry
about the basic stuff coming up on this list.
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Doug
Doug Newgard
2016-11-17 05:45:49 UTC
On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 00:41:11 -0500 (EST)
Post by Jude DaShiell
That message I sent was not intended for arch-general at all, sorry
about the basic stuff coming up on this list.
Please don't top post.

If it was not intended for arch-general, I assume it was intended to be sent
directly? That's even worse, you're trying to hide your bad advice and spread
misinformation.
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2016-11-17 05:53:36 UTC
Post by Jude DaShiell
That message I sent was not intended for arch-general at all, sorry
about the basic stuff coming up on this list.
We aren't upset about you posting it to [arch-general] per se. We are
upset that you yourself think it a good idea, and furthermore, that you
would suggest it to anyone else, whether on the list or off it.

And why do you think it would have been better to reply directly instead
of to the list? Were you afraid that if you posted to the list you would
get told off for idiocy -- and rightly so?
In which case, it works out better this way. Everyone knows what you
said, and we can properly describe the depth of your folly, and the OP
knows it too.

I am *still* trying to figure out why you didn't realize the OP already
had yaourt installed, it was explicitly mentioned...
2016-11-17 09:25:43 UTC
Post by Jude DaShiell
Did you ever download a package from aur before? If not you can get
and set up yaourt on archlinux
The OP already pointed out that yaourt is installed, this is the reason
why I gave hints how to use yaourt and that I mentioned that yaourt is
neither an official supported, nor a recommended tool.

I'm not against yaourt, I'm a yaourt user myself, but it is essential
to understand a few things.
Post by Jude DaShiell
Downloading yaourt, finding the dependencies, installing them
all manually, are great primers for actually using AUR. yaourt makes
it easy to blow right through installs without looking at the
PKGBUILD. Even after discovering yaourt, I still installed AUR
packages manually until I understood the process and was comfortable
with it.
It doesn't harm to read comments and to take a look at the PKGBUILD when
using yaourt. When not using yaourt there anyway is no need to install
dependencies manually, see

man makepkg

and

https://wiki.archlinux.org/

Regards,
Ralf
Ralf Mardorf
2016-11-17 11:26:00 UTC
When not using yaourt there anyway is no need to install
dependencies manually, see
man makepkg
Oops, I need to correct this, assuming the dependencies shouldn't
be available by official repositories, then 'makepkg -s', IOW pacman,
can't resolve the dependencies ;).
Travis Collins via arch-general
2016-11-17 11:28:35 UTC
Oops, I need to correct this, assuming the dependencies shouldn't
be available by official repositories, then 'makepkg -s', IOW pacman,
can't resolve the dependencies ;).
Ha, just replied with the same. Thanks for confirming though, I was hoping
I wasn't missing an important feature of makepkg.

Travis
Ralf Mardorf
2016-11-17 11:39:36 UTC
Post by Travis Collins via arch-general
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Oops, I need to correct this, assuming the dependencies shouldn't
be available by official repositories, then 'makepkg -s', IOW pacman,
can't resolve the dependencies ;).
Ha, just replied with the same. Thanks for confirming though, I was
hoping I wasn't missing an important feature of makepkg.
To make it perfect, I need to correct the claim about the 'official
repositories', too.

'makepkg -s' does use all repositories available by /etc/pacman.conf,
which not necessarily are official repositories, but usually are or at
least should be official repositories only.
Travis Collins via arch-general
2016-11-17 11:26:23 UTC
It doesn't harm to read comments and to take a look at the PKGBUILD when
using yaourt. When not using yaourt there anyway is no need to install
dependencies manually, see
man makepkg
and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
Regards,
Ralf
Oh. I still read PKGBUILDs and .install files when using yaourt; didn't
mean to imply that step could/should be skipped. And unless I am horribly
mistaken, makepkg won't handle AUR dependencies, like package-query as a
dependency for yaourt.

-s/--syncdeps automatically resolves and install any dependencies with
pacman before building. If the package depends on other AUR packages, you
will need to manually install them first.[1]

Travis

[1]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Build_and_install_the_package
Ralf Mardorf
2016-11-17 11:32:15 UTC
unless I am horribly mistaken, makepkg won't handle AUR dependencies
I noticed that my information was not entirely correct a few seconds
before you sent your reply :D.

Yes, as mentioned by the man page, makepkg does use pacman to resolve
dependencies and indeed some dependencies required by AUR PKGBUILDs
require other packages from AUR.