Why do we have scapy and scapy3k and which do we keep?
David C. Rankin
2018-04-06 02:53:36 UTC
Archdevs,

Attempting a system update tonight, I was hit with:

# pacman -Syu
looking for conflicting packages...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: scapy3k and scapy are in conflict

They both seem to be similar, but which one do we keep? There was never a
conflict before. I removed scapy3k, then curiously on one machine, it then
proceeded to reinstall, along with scapy. I don't know how either were
originally installed, I'd never heard of the package before the conflict
popped up.

Which should be keep? Or was this a packaging hiccup?
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
beest
2018-04-06 03:57:10 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
# pacman -Syu
looking for conflicting packages...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: scapy3k and scapy are in conflict
They both seem to be similar, but which one do we keep? There was never a
conflict before. I removed scapy3k, then curiously on one machine, it then
proceeded to reinstall, along with scapy. I don't know how either were
originally installed, I'd never heard of the package before the conflict
popped up.
Which should be keep? Or was this a packaging hiccup?
AFAIR, scapy3k was a python3 fork of scapy. Now that scapy supports
python3, it has been added to the conflicts array of scapy3k. You can
probably safely remove scapy3k as nothing depends on it in the Arch
repos; check your system.