Editing grub for dual boot?
bill
2016-04-18 22:43:21 UTC
Hello again!Thanks much for the warm welcome and good advice.I have another issue in that i seem unable to have both arch and ghost bsd on the same system/drive. If i install bsd  last the boot manager sees but cannot boot arch. If i install arch last, grub doesn't see the bsd at all.Apparently i need to edit grub so as to point it to the second os.   Does anyone have advice how to do so, or references to a wiki, etc? Any thanks!peace-bill
Ralf Mardorf
2016-04-18 23:04:36 UTC
To boot FreeBSD I needed to add a chainloader to the Linux's grub.cfg.

menuentry "FreeBSD"{
set root=(hd0,msdos1)
chainloader +1
}

Note, at least FreeBSD needs to be on a primary or GPT partition.
bill .
2016-04-23 21:41:29 UTC
Hi all,

BSD is on a primary so that's not the issue.

When i added this to grub.cfg it puts the bsd option in my grub at bootup, but when i select it i get the error "invalid signature." I tried replacing msdos1 with msdos3 since my bsd is on the third primary partition, but same result. I have checked the syntax several times. Does this error have to do with my placement within the file (near the end before memtest) or another error? Many thanks!
peace
-bill

Mauro Santos
2016-04-23 21:46:46 UTC
On 23-04-2016 22:41, bill . wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> BSD is on a primary so that's not the issue.
>
> When i added this to grub.cfg it puts the bsd option in my grub at bootup, but when i select it i get the error "invalid signature." I tried replacing msdos1 with msdos3 since my bsd is on the third primary partition, but same result. I have checked the syntax several times. Does this error have to do with my placement within the file (near the end before memtest) or another error? Many thanks!
> peace
> -bill
>
>> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 01:04:36 +0200
>> From: ***@zoho.com
>> To: arch-***@archlinux.org
>> Subject: Re: [arch-general] Editing grub for dual boot?
>>
>> To boot FreeBSD I needed to add a chainloader to the Linux's grub.cfg.
>>
>> menuentry "FreeBSD"{
>> set root=(hd0,msdos1)
>> chainloader +1
>> }
>>
>> Note, at least FreeBSD needs to be on a primary or GPT partition.

You might have to mark the partition as active/bootable and you might
have to hide other partitions.

It all depends on what the bsd is expecting to find in regards to
partitions. I've never used it so I can't be of much help besides guesses.

Mauro Santos
William Castro
2016-04-25 08:13:17 UTC
I have another guess.

BSD uses partitions within partitions (it calls them "slices".) Check under
the GRUB command line for anything funky like hd0,msdos1bsd1 or something.

Lukas Rose
2016-04-18 23:05:05 UTC
Did you try running

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
or, for UEFI-GPT Mode (As per #Alternative install method):

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/GRUB/grub.cfg
after installing bsd? Often it recognizes other OSes on its own. If not, installing os-prober and running grub-mkconfig … Again might help.

Regards,
Lukas

Ed Hamilton
2016-04-19 08:37:00 UTC
Do you have os-prober installed?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB says, in part:

Dual-booting
Tip: To have grub-mkconfig search for other installed systems, install
os-prober.

I used architect to install this time, and os-prober wasn't installed by
default.