linux kernel 4.15.4-1 un-bootable
David Rosenstrauch
2018-02-24 01:39:02 UTC
Ran into a weird issue today. I upgraded a bunch of packages, including
the kernel to v4.15.4-1 (from 4.15.3-1). But for some reason the system
was un-bootable. The boot process would get part-way through, then the
booting screen would suddenly start showing its text on a green
background (rather than black) and it would freeze.

It took some jumping through hoops, but I was eventually able to boot to
a chroot environment, upgrade to a newer kernel (v4.15.5-1) and suddenly
the problem magically went away and my machine boots fine.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened here? I'm assuming it was
a bad kernel build, but I'd like to know for sure. I didn't see any
recent bugs under the "linux" kernel package that matched what I was
seeing.

Thanks,

DR
Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi via arch-general
2018-02-24 02:45:39 UTC
Have a look at the changelogs:
https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.15.4 and
https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.15.5.

Looks like it could be a DRM issue. Which graphics hardware and driver
stack are you using?

-
Marc
DR
Stefan Husmann
2018-02-24 07:10:10 UTC
Post by Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi via arch-general
Post by David Rosenstrauch
[...]
Hello,

I expperience exactly the same here, but also with linux 4.15.3-2. Linux
4.15.3-1 works fine.

I have a NVIDIA GF119 [Geforce GT610] with nouveau driver.

Best Regards

Stefan
Stefan Husmann
2018-02-24 07:36:12 UTC
Post by Stefan Husmann
Hello,
I expperience exactly the same here, but also with linux 4.15.3-2. Linux
4.15.3-1 works fine.
I have a NVIDIA GF119 [Geforce GT610] with nouveau driver.
Best Regards
Stefan
Hello,

I just got linux 4.15.5-1 and this fixes the problem at least on my
system.

Best Regards
Stefan