systemd 214, journal problem
Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-24 10:29:45 UTC
today I have run pacman -Syu on my arch server. Systemd was updated from
213 to 214 and now I don't get any new journal entries. I just get the
messages from the boot process and that's all.

Any ideas?

Stefan
Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-24 10:39:31 UTC
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Hi,
today I have run pacman -Syu on my arch server. Systemd was updated from
213 to 214 and now I don't get any new journal entries. I just get the
messages from the boot process and that's all.
Downgrading systemd to 213 fixed the problem.

Stefan
Bruno Yemini
2014-06-24 16:51:46 UTC
When upgrading to systemd 214-2, Pacman gives this message:
===
:: coredumps are no longer sent to the journal by default. To re-enable:
echo >/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf \
"kernel.core_pattern=|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t %e"

===

I guess this command will re-enable the old feature.

Cheers
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Hi,
Stefan
Bjoern Franke
2014-06-24 17:11:50 UTC
Post by Bruno Yemini
===
echo >/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf \
"kernel.core_pattern=|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t %e"
===
I guess this command will re-enable the old feature.
He spoke of any messages, not coredumps.
--
xmpp ***@schafweide.org
bjo.nord-west.org | nord-west.org
Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-24 17:18:37 UTC
Yes, I did not mean the coredump thing.
Bruno Yemini
2014-06-24 17:18:58 UTC
Post by Bjoern Franke
Post by Bruno Yemini
===
echo >/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf \
"kernel.core_pattern=|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t
%e"
Post by Bruno Yemini
===
I guess this command will re-enable the old feature.
He spoke of any messages, not coredumps.
It's true. My mistake, sorry.

cheers
Anthony Campbell
2014-06-24 17:04:14 UTC
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Hi,
today I have run pacman -Syu on my arch server. Systemd was updated from
213 to 214 and now I don't get any new journal entries. I just get the
messages from the boot process and that's all.
Downgrading systemd to 213 fixed the problem.
Stefan
What seems to be a similar problem occurred about 3 months ago. It was
fixed when systemd was upgraded. See:

Anthony Campbell - ***@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk
http://www.smashwords.com/profile.view/acampbell
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/anthony-campbell/id73235412
Anthony Campbell
2014-06-24 17:25:58 UTC
Post by Anthony Campbell
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Hi,
today I have run pacman -Syu on my arch server. Systemd was updated from
213 to 214 and now I don't get any new journal entries. I just get the
messages from the boot process and that's all.
Downgrading systemd to 213 fixed the problem.
Stefan
What seems to be a similar problem occurred about 3 months ago. It was
Sorry - replied to wrong thread - please ignore/

AC
Mauro Santos
2014-06-24 17:16:01 UTC
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Hi,
today I have run pacman -Syu on my arch server. Systemd was updated from
213 to 214 and now I don't get any new journal entries. I just get the
messages from the boot process and that's all.
Any ideas?
Stefan
.
It seems to be working fine here, the output of 'journalctl -b' includes
output from dbus, polkitd, NetworkManager, etc.
Mauro Santos
Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-24 17:21:21 UTC
Post by Mauro Santos
It seems to be working fine here, the output of 'journalctl -b' includes
output from dbus, polkitd, NetworkManager, etc.
It works on my desktop as well. My server seems to have a problem with
systemd 214...
Genes Lists
2014-06-24 17:31:04 UTC
I had same issue with systemd 214 and kernel 3.15. For me,it was
resolved with 3.15.1 kernel (which had some capabilities and audit fixes
- not sure they were cause, but 3.15.1 fixed it for me).

If you're running 3.15.1 or 3.15.rc2 and still have the issue then it
is likely not same issue as I had.

gene
Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-24 17:33:44 UTC
Post by Genes Lists
I had same issue with systemd 214 and kernel 3.15. For me,it was
resolved with 3.15.1 kernel (which had some capabilities and audit fixes
- not sure they were cause, but 3.15.1 fixed it for me).
I can try this. I use the arch lts-kernel on my server. Maybe it is not
yet fixed in the lts kernel?
Ralf Mardorf
2014-06-25 02:57:39 UTC
Post by Stefan Tatschner
today I have run pacman -Syu on my arch server. Systemd was updated from
213 to 214 and now I don't get any new journal entries. I just get the
messages from the boot process and that's all.
You got this messages when installing it:

:: coredumps are no longer sent to the journal by default. To re-enable:
echo >/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf \
"kernel.core_pattern=|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t %e"

OT: But while I get rid of the forced fsck, now the forced fsck happens
again.
Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-25 04:40:11 UTC
Post by Bruno Yemini
Post by Stefan Tatschner
today I have run pacman -Syu on my arch server. Systemd was updated from
213 to 214 and now I don't get any new journal entries. I just get the
messages from the boot process and that's all.
echo >/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf \
"kernel.core_pattern=|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t %e"
We already had this here:

https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2014-June/036672.html

Stefan
Ralf Mardorf
2014-06-25 06:58:25 UTC
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Post by Bruno Yemini
Post by Stefan Tatschner
today I have run pacman -Syu on my arch server. Systemd was updated from
213 to 214 and now I don't get any new journal entries. I just get the
messages from the boot process and that's all.
echo >/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf \
"kernel.core_pattern=|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %p %u %g %s %t %e"
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2014-June/036672.html
I read it a while after my reply.
Post by Stefan Tatschner
Post by Bruno Yemini
I had same issue with systemd 214 and kernel 3.15. For me,it was
resolved with 3.15.1 kernel (which had some capabilities and audit fixes
- not sure they were cause, but 3.15.1 fixed it for me).
I can try this. I use the arch lts-kernel on my server. Maybe it is not
yet fixed in the lts kernel?
JFTR

[***@archlinux ~]$ uname -rm
3.8.13-rt14-1-rt x86_64
[***@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si linux-lts | grep Version
Version : 3.10.44-1

I still don't know what messages you don't get, however, I get messages
without editing /etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf for e.g. pppd and the
graphics etc..

Currently the only issue on my machine is that at startup fsck is forced
again and sure, as always using journalctl is a PITA, but at least it
works even with an older kernel, than the linux-lts.
Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-25 07:04:50 UTC
3.8.13-rt14-1-rt x86_64
Version : 3.10.44-1
I still don't know what messages you don't get, however, I get messages
without editing /etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf for e.g. pppd and the
graphics etc..
I dont't get *ANY* message after booting the machine. After every
service has been started (my last one is always fail2ban) I do not get
any more messages. This includes e.g. postfix, amavis, ssh, dovecot,
cron, sudo things, ...

The lack of journal messages also mean that fail2ban does not work;
that's really bad. I will try updating once again later this day and
I'll let you know.

Stefan
Martti Kühne
2014-06-25 09:01:58 UTC
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Stefan Tatschner
Post by Stefan Tatschner
I dont't get *ANY* message after booting the machine. After every
service has been started (my last one is always fail2ban) I do not get
any more messages. This includes e.g. postfix, amavis, ssh, dovecot,
cron, sudo things, ...
The lack of journal messages also mean that fail2ban does not work;
that's really bad. I will try updating once again later this day and
I'll let you know.
I'm not sure how you configured fail2ban, but since it's not working
for you and a quick research reveals it does things with logs... This
clearly points to some incompatibility between systemd-214 and
fail2ban. Did you contact devs of either? They might be able to point
something out you have overlooked up to now.
Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-25 09:07:07 UTC
Post by Stefan Tatschner
The lack of journal messages also mean that fail2ban does not work;
that's really bad. I will try updating once again later this day and
I'll let you know.
I'm not sure how you configured fail2ban, but since it's not working
for you and a quick research reveals it does things with logs... This
clearly points to some incompatibility between systemd-214 and
fail2ban. Did you contact devs of either? They might be able to point
something out you have overlooked up to now.
This is not correct. Fail2ban works fine here, but with no journal
messages (which might be a systemd problem) it does not work as it
evaluates the messages from the journal. But that's not actually my
problem; it's just a messy side effect. :)

I will try updating to systemd-214 again later this day and I'll let you
know what happens.

Stefan
Martti Kühne
2014-06-25 09:14:40 UTC
This is not correct. :-)
Fail2ban needs to somehow get those messages from journald. Did you
try disabling it for a boot?
When you update today, maybe trying to log the clogging of your
services (eg. strace) would be a good idea.

cheers!
mar77i
Davor Rotim
2014-06-25 10:40:29 UTC
Yes, same issue here. All services start normally just no logging to the
journal. For example, journalctl -u systemd-networkd will only show logs
until the systemd 214 upgrade after that as if it never existed (but
strangely everything works normally). This is on 3.15.1-1-ARCH i686.
Davor Rotim
2014-06-25 11:07:38 UTC
I have reported this to the bug tracker: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/40970
Stefan Tatschner
2014-07-04 06:01:35 UTC
Post by Davor Rotim
I have reported this to the bug tracker: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/40970
- Update to systemd 214
- reboot
- rebuild the initramdisk (mkinitcpio -p linux-lts, mkinitcpio -p linux)
- reboot
-> my problem was fixed

I always have rebuilt my initramdisk before rebooting; so my udev
version was 213...

Stefan Tatschner
2014-06-25 11:28:51 UTC
Post by Davor Rotim
Yes, same issue here. All services start normally just no logging to the
journal. For example, journalctl -u systemd-networkd will only show logs
until the systemd 214 upgrade after that as if it never existed (but
strangely everything works normally). This is on 3.15.1-1-ARCH i686.
I was afraid I'm alone with this problem...