Include paths for python 3
Jayesh Badwaik via arch-general
2018-08-13 14:28:07 UTC
I've noticed that the include paths for python 3 are updated according
to the version of python being installed. This removes some stability
for custom programs which build against python (example boost.python).
It would be nice if there was a symlink version of python include
paths to a stable location like `/usr/include/python3`.

Thank you.
--
Cheers
Jayesh Badwaik
https://jayeshbadwaik.gitlab.io
Eli Schwartz via arch-general
2018-08-13 15:01:18 UTC
Post by Jayesh Badwaik via arch-general
I've noticed that the include paths for python 3 are updated according
to the version of python being installed. This removes some stability
for custom programs which build against python (example boost.python).
It would be nice if there was a symlink version of python include
paths to a stable location like `/usr/include/python3`.
This will never happen.

If you're not using `pkg-config --cflags python3` then you're doing it
wrong. End of story.

Source code that doesn't know how to use pkg-config to find the
versioned include path in /usr/include also won't be able to find it in
$HOME/dev/python/include/python3.7m or whatever complex development
environments lots of people tend to use.

Patching one cherry-picked linux distro in order to fix one specific
workflow in one programming language and one software dependency, seems
rather inefficient. Learn to love pkg-config, it's quite fantastic. ;)
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User
Jayesh Badwaik via arch-general
2018-08-24 08:01:51 UTC
I finally got around to editing my code, and I realized how bad my
request was. Thank you for suggesting the good alternative. :-)