Question about using an efi partition
Matthew dyer via arch-general
2018-07-30 15:01:57 UTC
Hi all,

Last night I was reading in the arch wiki about creating an efi partition
for arch Linux and I had a question. Is this esp partition the same as say
a boot partition that is used in bios? Meening do I need to have an extra
partition for a boot partition or is this efi partition used as the boot
partition. I did not see anything regarding this in the wiki so thought I
would ask here.

Matthew
Bruno Pagani via arch-general
2018-07-30 15:07:03 UTC
Post by Matthew dyer via arch-general
Hi all,
Last night I was reading in the arch wiki about creating an efi partition
for arch Linux and I had a question. Is this esp partition the same as say
a boot partition that is used in bios? Meening do I need to have an extra
partition for a boot partition or is this efi partition used as the boot
partition. I did not see anything regarding this in the wiki so thought I
would ask here.
It depends. Some bootloader require to use the same partition for boot
and efi, some don’t or even require the opposite for some setup (like
full-disk encryption including /boot using grub).

That being said, I don’t think there are interesting setups (at least
none came to mind) which would /require/ both a boot and efi partitions
as well as the boot partition to be independent from the / one. So only
one extra partition for both or only for EFI should be enough.

You can have more information about this by reading bootloaders wiki pages.

Regards,
Bruno
Dmitrii Tcvetkov via arch-general
2018-07-30 15:14:45 UTC
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:01:57 -0400
Post by Matthew dyer via arch-general
Hi all,
Last night I was reading in the arch wiki about creating an efi
partition for arch Linux and I had a question. Is this esp partition
the same as say a boot partition that is used in bios? Meening do I
need to have an extra partition for a boot partition or is this efi
partition used as the boot partition. I did not see anything
regarding this in the wiki so thought I would ask here.
ESP (EFI system partition) is needed to EFI firmware to load
bootloader from it. In BIOS boot MBR provides the same function - store
bootloader code. ESP is more convient in that regard
since it's a FAT32 filesystem instead of a binary blob.