[arch-general] Kernel 4.19 preventing Firefox from playing videos
Frank Zimmermann
2018-11-14 16:54:39 UTC
Good evening,

I have a very strange issue with kernel 4.19.1 With this kernel Firefox
no longer plays any videos. It opens the page but the video wont play.
It gets even worse when I open another tab. This will freeze Firefox
though system load is ok. But I cannot kill Firefox, even logging off
and on will keep it running in the background. Only way to stop it is a
reboot and shutdown will take approx 10 to 15 mins for various stop
jobs running. just downgraded to Kernel 4.18.19 and things are fine.
I'm running Gnome on a Thinkpad X201.

KR Frank
Ralf Mardorf via arch-general
2018-11-14 17:18:15 UTC
Post by Frank Zimmermann
I cannot kill Firefox
Hi,

how do you try to kill firefox? What happens if you run

killall -9 --verbose firefox

?

Regards,
Ralf
Frank Zimmermann
2018-11-14 21:41:21 UTC
Am Mittwoch, den 14.11.2018, 18:18 +0100 schrieb Ralf Mardorf via arch-
Post by Ralf Mardorf via arch-general
Post by Frank Zimmermann
I cannot kill Firefox
Hi,
how do you try to kill firefox? What happens if you run
killall -9 --verbose firefox
?
Regards,
Ralf
I've tried killall firefox and kill -9 PID. Will wait for 4.19.2 before
giving this kernal another try, now happy with 4.18.16

KR Frank
Bardur Arantsson
2018-11-14 18:54:55 UTC
Post by Frank Zimmermann
Good evening,
I have a very strange issue with kernel 4.19.1 With this kernel Firefox
no longer plays any videos. It opens the page but the video wont play.
It gets even worse when I open another tab. This will freeze Firefox
though system load is ok. But I cannot kill Firefox, even logging off
and on will keep it running in the background. Only way to stop it is a
reboot and shutdown will take approx 10 to 15 mins for various stop
jobs running. just downgraded to Kernel 4.18.19 and things are fine.
I'm running Gnome on a Thinkpad X201.
KR Frank
Just another data point: (Might be related, might not...)

I'm seeing something similar with 4.19.1, though it doesn't completely
crash it just casues all GUI operations (even just switching windows) to
become *really* sluggish until I reboot the machine. At that point
firefox gets so slow that it's basically unusable -- this might be
experienced as it having hung on a slower machine. I am able to quit it
with regular Ctrl+Q though.

Downgrading to 4.18.19 seems to fix it for me.

(Running KDE on a Radeon GPU.)

Regards,
LoneVVolf
2018-11-14 20:58:28 UTC
Post by Bardur Arantsson
Post by Frank Zimmermann
[...]
Archlinux stock kernel went from 4.18.16 to 4.19 , where did you get
4.18.19 ?

linux 4.19.2 is now in [testing] repo, you could try that.

Lone_Wolf
Damjan Georgievski via arch-general
2018-11-14 21:13:52 UTC
Post by Frank Zimmermann
I have a very strange issue with kernel 4.19.1 With this kernel Firefox
no longer plays any videos. It opens the page but the video wont play.
what video? youtube?

works well here, on intel i7-7500U, KDE on X11 (modesetting driver)
with both 4.19.1-arch1 and 4.19.2-arch1
Post by Frank Zimmermann
I'm running Gnome on a Thinkpad X201.
are you running wayland, modsettings or the intel X11 driver (the X
modesetting is perhaps recommended)

maybe try another compositor, instead of the gnome one
damjan
Frank Zimmermann