[arch-general] Hardware portal
Andrey Ponomarenko via arch-general
2018-11-03 17:47:17 UTC

Good news for everyone interested in Linux-compatibility and reliability of hardware!

The Linux-Hardware.org database has been divided into a set of databases, one per each Linux distro. You can now select your favorite distro on the front page:

https://linux-hardware.org/?d=Arch

In this mode you'll not see data collected from other Linux distros.

One can submit computer hardware info to the database automatically by AppImage, Snap, Flatpak, Docker or native package: https://github.com/linuxhw/hw-probe#install

Enjoy!
pete via arch-general
2018-11-03 22:04:01 UTC
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 20:47:17 +0300
Post by Andrey Ponomarenko via arch-general
Hi,
Good news for everyone interested in Linux-compatibility and
reliability of hardware!
The Linux-Hardware.org database has been divided into a set of
databases, one per each Linux distro. You can now select your
https://linux-hardware.org/?d=Arch
In this mode you'll not see data collected from other Linux distros.
One can submit computer hardware info to the database automatically
https://github.com/linuxhw/hw-probe#install
Enjoy!
Far Far far superior as a full searchable list this is to put it very
mildly pants ..

Pete .
mar77i via arch-general
2018-11-03 23:10:42 UTC
Post by Andrey Ponomarenko via arch-general
Hi,
Good news for everyone interested in Linux-compatibility and reliability of hardware!
Do you consider people wishing to submit reviews or collect reports from the interwob about folks not happy with a particular device? I know your fully automated approach seems like an easy kill, but really, I could upload my laptop to the database, but then it would nowhere tell that the particular laptop I'm using is known to be a piece of garbage. Wine has an approach that would allow me to make the case clear, but this may be orthogonal to the kind of thing you're doing...

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of your database: is it supposed to be the central point around which people should make decisions on what hardware they should buy or avoid?

cheers!
mar77i

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.