[arch-general] Package grub Encourages Warnings to be Ignored.
Ralph Corderoy
2018-12-08 08:55:41 UTC

Having spotted

warning: /boot/grub/grub.cfg saved as /boot/grub/grub.cfg.pacsave

during today's large package upgrade, I went to /boot/grub afterwards
expecting work to do. grub.cfg.pacsave didn't exist. `pacman -Ql grub'
showed grub doesn't own anything in /boot. Google led me to
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=242285 where Salkay had
earlier started along the same path.

The warning has wasted our time, and the forum's conclusion is `ignore
the warning'. Encouraging warnings to be ignored is a bad idea; I don't
suppose some here are too happy when a user turns up with a problem and
the answer was under their nose but they `ignored the warning'.

Can a better solution to this be engineered?
--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy
mar77i via arch-general
2018-12-08 12:45:24 UTC
2018-12-08 13:08:17 UTC
Post by mar77i via arch-general
For the kernel we run mkinitcpio. So there shouldn't be a real reason why we shouldn't run grub-mkconfig >/${main_grub_dir}/grub.cfg for grub. That being said, the path is /boot/grub.cfg for me, so I'm not sure how we'd get the installfile to figure out where to output its output.
One key difference is that the output of mkinitcpio are binary files, whereas grub.cfg is a text file, and maybe operators would like to modify that file after it's generated? So one could make a case that the install file should in fact keep its hands off grub.cfg entirely.
Right, grub.cfg can quite easily be written by hand.

Also, there is (usually?) no necessity to change the grub.cfg after a
grub update. I doubt even that the grub-mkconfig output changes (notably).